Welcome all returning D W Poppy parents/guardians and a big Welcome to Poppy for all our new parents/guardians!
It’s hard to believe summer is over and we are already three weeks into September. My name is Marlene Yakabuski and I am PAC Chair. As a parent/guardian of a Poppy student, you are all members of the PAC (Parent Advisory Council) and we would love to have your voice heard at our meetings. We typically meet the third Tuesday of the month (excluding Dec & March) at 7 pm in the Learning Commons, for about an hour. It’s an awesome opportunity to hear from our principal about what’s happening at the school and help support the school community and culture.
As a PAC we do not run fundraisers but rather try and support the school with donated funds and facilitate and support the various groups such as Music, Musical Theatre and Poppy Car Show in their fundraising efforts. Thank you to those of you who have donated to the PAC, Poppy Breakfast Bistro or Weekend Fuel Bag through KEV SchoolCashOnline (parents can continue to donate right thru until June).
The PAC donated funds go into our general account, allowing us to finance curricular requests from the school. This year one of the things we are hoping to be able to look at contributing is the purchase of a mobile cart of laptops that can be made available in classrooms.
The PAC supports the school community in many ways each year:
- Grade 12 scholarships
- Hosting Staff (December and June) and Bus Driver (May) appreciation coffee and lunches
- Dry Grad donation
- Poppy Breakfast Bistro support
- Weekend Fuel Bag donation
- Small beautification and maintenance projects such as courtyard, school sign, flower beds
In addition to our general fund, every year we apply for, and receive, a grant from BC Gaming. This year that amount will be over $16,000 ($20 per student). Last year we used these funds to contribute to the Breakfast Bistro by purchasing a Vitamix $550, purchased a set of Computers on Wheels $12,500, purchased supplies in order to offer training for ACT, AED and CPR $2,100, purchased supplies for our Robotics Club $1,375, and contributed to Grad Walk $500.
Our goal is to benefit as many Poppy students as possible with both donated General and Gaming funds.
Our PAC also supports the school’s Poppy Breakfast Bistro both financially and with parent volunteers. The breakfast is free and open to all students of the school from approx. 7:40 am – 8:05 each morning. We encourage any student who had an early athletic or band practice, spent extra time doing their hair before they caught the bus, or who just wasn’t ready to eat that early in the morning to pop by and either sit down and have a bite and visit, or grab and go. JIt makes those minds work so much better.
There are many ways for families or community groups to get involved thru donations of time or financially:
- by helping serve at the Poppy Breakfast Bistro which hosts breakfast each morning for ALL students (contact our parent liaison Sarah Cranfield at firstname.lastname@example.org ), or staff members Dayna Friend (email@example.com) or Tammy Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- be part of our D W Poppy Car Show (a legacy of over 30 years) always held the first Sunday in May
- saving your Otter Coop food and houseware receipts and drop them in our box located in the school foyer beside the office and with which the PAC converts into gift cards,
- financial contributions for those who are able, either to a specific school program or need, or to the PAC to help aid in support of the school community
- Join other parents in supporting Music Dept, Musical Theatre, Poppy Car Show or Dry Grad
You can keep up to date with D W Poppy Secondary by using the Poppy Blocks app, the school website calendar and school newsletter, and the DW Poppy PAC Facebook page.
Our PAC meetings can be found on the school calendar and our next meeting is Tuesday, the 25th at 7pm in the Learning Commons. Grab a friend – we hope to see you there!
PAC Meeting dates: Sep 25, Oct 16, Nov 13, Jan 15, Feb 19, Apr 16, and May 14
We are part of a vibrant, proud community with many long standing traditions. Encourage your kids to get involved – it’s a great opportunity for them to try different things, make great friends, and keep them busy in a good way.
ps we collect Otter Coop receipts (excluding gas and feed) in the school foyer to be exchanged for Otter Coop gift cards