January 28, 2017
It has been a wonderful semester at DW Poppy Secondary. Our school continues to provide amazing opportunities for students. At approximately 840 students, we continue be the dynamic school in the country. As we begin semester 2 on Monday, January 30 please note the following important Poppy community updates:
- Mr. Grant came to DW Poppy four and a half years ago and in that time we nearly doubled our enrolment in the Visual Arts. His passion for Art Education is truly inspirational. Mr. Grant has been teaching for 38 years and his career has included teaching at New Westminster Secondary, Kelowna Secondary, an Elementary School in Delta, HD Stafford and Langley Secondary. During his time at Poppy, Mr. Grant’s passion was evident in a massive school wide Art show. He worked diligently to celebrate Art throughout the school. Mr. Grant retires after semester 1. He will be dearly missed by the DW Poppy community.
- Replacing Mr. Grant in September is Mr. Dave Sanquist from HD Stafford Middle School. Mr. Sanquist has been an Art Educator in Langley for nearly fifteen years and will bring this passion to our school. We welcome Ms. Karly Macdonald to DW Poppy in a term position for Mr. Grant for semester 2.
- Welcome Daniel Den Haan to DW Poppy for Semester 2. Mr. Den Haan will be teaching English 10, English 9 and Social Studies 11. He is a Trinity Western University Graduate.
- Mr. Moorthy, yes that’s me. By now many of you may have heard that I will be moving to Walnut Grove Secondary next year. This comes as a both an exciting challenge and an emotional loss for me. After seven and a half years, I can honestly say that DW Poppy has become part of my extended family. I am so proud of our school and of all the accomplishments and connections that I have developed with our parents, staff and students. It will be hard to say good-bye, but I do have five months with you left, so I’m looking forward to some time and celebration with the Graduates of 2017.
- There are many rumours that are circulating about the future configuration of DW Poppy Secondary School. I can assure you that no decision has been made; however, the voices of our school and parent community must be heard. Please attend the next parent consultation meeting at 7:00pm on February 9 in the DW Poppy Dramnasium to learn more about where a Middle School Program best fits in our region.
Grade 8-11 Course Planning Night- February 7- 6:30- 8:00
- This is a chance for parents and students to learn more about their course selections for the upcoming year. With pending changes in our Graduation Program and the curricular change that we are immersed in, it is valuable for parents and students to come to this night.
Grade 7 Parent Information Night- February 21- 6:00-8:00
- This evening if for incoming Grade 8’s. We will be sending information out to our feeder schools about this evening.
Parent Portal for Report Cards-February 10
- Please note that the district is moving towards an entirely electronic report card system and paper copies will no longer be provided. Parents will be given information to access their child’s report card by accessing the Parent Portal through My Education BC. More information will be provided in an upcoming letter.
Grade 9 Immunizations- February 8
- A reminder that permission forms should already be returned to the office. If they have not been returned, please bring them in next week.
Course Changes Final Day- Friday, February 10
- Please note that our classes and cohorts are extremely full for semester 2. Course change requests may be limited. The final date for course changes is Friday, February 10.
Grade 12 Students
- Please ensure that you read the monthly Grade 12 newsletter. Parents of Graduates are encouraged to read these as well.
- DW Poppy cordially invites you to attend, “Sister Act the Musical”. Performances are March 1-4 at 7:00pm. Please join us for another amazing Poppy Musical Theatre Academy run.